Friday, August 18, 2017

#Coexistence - This morning, caught between two leopards...

This post is at Facebook (where there are also other updates not shown here) if you wish to comment.



Very interesting situation early morning in the Leopard Transit Area. I hadn't been there long and there was a huge growl... and it wasn't Dipnani. It was definitely an adult leopard, maybe the Boss and most likely on a kill. I checked things out and yeah, the warning growls, a low saw like rumble came again about 60 metres away from the LTA. A soldier had told me last night of a lot of leopard noise, he thought it was Dipnani, the young cat was not happy about the excessive rain but suddenly it all made sense. A lot of deer has stayed on this side of the river after the floods so a predator like the Boss would obviously take advantage of the situation.
So there I was, a snarling Dipnani who could see me (but I not her if she wanted to hide) on one side and not far away in really thick vegetation a much bigger leopard.
I had promised the leopard in the image, many times, I would try as hard as I can for his species, I would always do my very best. So I carried on working. The floods have meant I have to get a few things set up in case it happens again and we still have maybe two more months of rainy season in this area. I worked quickly in humid conditions, keeping my senses on alert. I never disturb a big cat after warnings so I hoped the unseen leopard could pay me the same respect. Dipnani showed moderate tolerance and did show herself, giving me the chance to check her from a distance, with a barrier between us. My cameras took a beating during the floods so it was good to get that visual of Dipnani. The fun and games of monsoon, yeah right. The next couple of months are crucial for the program but as I promised another leopard, the effort will always go in...

Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...