Monday, April 6, 2015

LEOPARD REWILDING PROGRAM - Meeting in the jungle...


This is a camera trap image of meeting up with Asa (today) at a point on a new territory grid I have set up. The young leopard has adapted to the new grid well and I'll blog in a couple of days re what has been going on including the cave I led Asa to today, a place he seemed to like.  Asa has been in a fight (or two) with maybe another leopard.  I have been monitoring a wound on his leg but Asa has been looking after his injury well, this is good, it shows he knows how to look after himself in the raw reality of jungle life.

It's been a testing period.  I had to reset the grid because of increased activity by woodcutters, something I was not told about and this irks me, all I want is accurate information.  However I'm happy with this current area for Asa.  Being able to analyze data on the spot was the beauty of the laptop that was stolen by some inconsiderate bastard.  Of course I had things backed up and it doesn't stop me getting online etc, it was purely because it was a device that was made for work in places like you can see in the image. That makes me pissed because it got stolen by someone who knew what I was doing because I was wearing a shirt that explained that.  The colour of my skin didn't help, as it didn't for the German guy who got his bag pinched at the same time.

I'm really in a mood now where it is best not to mess with me.  This is a serious project with a lot at stake not to mention the risks of dealing with a wild animal.  We keep going forward despite the crap though.

Another thing I'd like to make clear (again) as it does seem to keep coming up, wherever I go and online etc... but no, I will not be sad when Asa and I fully separate.  I will be as happy as anything because despite the success so far the ultimate aim is to show these cats can become fully independent.  The only sadness is that this poor bloody leopard got stuck with me in the first place, he should have been with his mother.  This is not a parental "love story"... it is a wildlife conservation project based on respect and all I ask is that for Asa, myself, my team, we get shown that because honestly, the effort is huge.  There will be other leopards, tigers, who knows what and the same respect will apply.  Yes, Asa and I have a genuine bond, we have been through a lot but I would be a disgraceful conservationist if I put anything but respect as the "feeling" that has to be here.

More soon.  Jai Bagh. 

Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...