Thursday, March 19, 2015

LEOPARD REWILDING PROGRAM - More Ruthless truth: Management by exclusion and conservation with the gun...


I'm a few hours away from another of those epic road trips out west.  Sixteen hours plus of being hunched up, thrown about, bemused by the effort needed to get to a conservation area.  It's worth it, getting to a National Park I have a long association with, a place where the tiger population is on the increase and rhinos, elephants, wildlife in general live in a place where the gun is managing their protection.  It's not perfect of course but gains are being made and poachers know if they venture into the core zone they are putting their lives at risk.  I'm there for the next round of talks regarding the Rescue and Rewilding Centre, that of course has a big bearing on the future of Asa, the Leopard of Hope.

I saw Asa two days ago in what has become a weekly encounter.  I almost did a double take when I found him after three hours searching.  His size, confidence, athleticism, instincts, he has a way about him now which is truly impressive.  Several hours later I dropped down to the village battered and somewhat bloodied.  The bruises will go away (to be replaced by more at the next encounter) and there'll be a few scars which will last for life but the surge of confidence I felt in the strategies I've adapted to rewild this leopard was exactly what I needed after several weeks of seemingly endless problems.  Not for one second am I naive enough to think things will run smoothly from this point, it just doesn't work like that, reality checks are constant.

However, seeing Asa so strong, so "wild", yeah, it did me the world of good.  The young leopard treats me like a wild animal, his is a rough cat.  The hits are are quite fearsome but it's important for him to know he cannot fully dominate me so that while I am entering a territory he has pretty much claimed we need to continue the process of the weekly food drops in the grid I have set up.  Asa is a sub adult and research has shown that leopards will make kills and lead their offspring to the dead prey.  This is part of the overall thinking I have applied to this situation.  I'll explain this in more detail in the future, there is simply not enough time now plus there is a lot more planning to be put into practice, techniques to be refined.  The WildTiger philosophy is to walk the walk before talking the talk...

What I can say though, and this is separate to Asa and the rewilding process,  is that over four years research is going to lead to a value added protected area.  One or two more discussions need to take place but the concept of a zone that use sacred principles, topographical barriers and community support is being pushed through.  It is a mountain area that is dear to me and I feel a relief that this can be done.  There is a growing frustration in the conservation community that the world hasn't woken up to the issues and that protected areas which are managed by enforcing total exclusion are the only way forward.  This is a ruthless truth, there can be no other way because humanity has relinquished many rights through constant exploitation.

I don't do this work to make friends, I do it to protect habitat.  This sometimes means that ruthless truths are a bit much for some to handle.  I cannot apologize for this, there isn't time and actually, there isn't inclination.  If we get it right now there is every chance habitat recovery can take place in huge areas of our planet.

I thank those who support this thinking.  You know who you are and you are making a difference.

There is Hope...

Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...