Wednesday, February 18, 2015

New boots fit ... and time to beat a new path to a #Wildlife Rescue and Rewilding Centre... #tiger #leopard


If you walked into my room (or tent) all you'd see is outdoor gear.  Even my laptop is waterproof.  Guess that means you can spill beer on it.  Did that to a camera once.  Don't try it.  I live and breathe wildlife work and my equipment reflects that.  Smells like it too and so do I guess...

The boots in the image (caught on camera on one of Asa's food drums), sent to me by Donatella Piras, are indicative of a lot of the support received. The boots are fantastic, they fit really well, I've worn them every day since they arrived a couple of weeks ago.  I really needed them and the call was answered.  Thank you.  Another example (and I could write about several) was that not that long ago either a Frenchman called Ivan was staying in the village.  After a couple of conversations (and not just about cheese) he simply handed over a pair of binoculars.  This type of generosity means so much to me and it really helps, maybe I don't smell quite so bad after all.  Or maybe true wildlife supporters are very tolerant.

Sleeping rough and smelling poorly can't get in the way of decision making.  In yesterday's post, and prior to that I alluded to change.  Some people already have a heads up to what is happening but in short, due to a set of circumstances, I have decided that Asa, the Leopard of Hope I have been working with for over a year now is to be relocated.  This decision has meant bringing forward a long term vision of a Rescue and Rewilding Centre.

Despite the issues surrounding this decision I feel very positive. There have been so many challenges in this project so far I don't feel daunted by what lies ahead.  A location in an area of western Nepal looks to be where it will happen.  Support and encouragement have come from the officials who it needs to come from and I have been asked to choose a suitable site.  I will start this process in a few days.  A purpose built facility is the aim and in the initial stages the focus of the concept will be the continuation of Asa's rewilding.

The young leopard is doing really well, he's in fantastic shape.  A series of situations where basically there was too much human activity, some of it illegal, are the main reasons for this decision.    Essentially I feel it was Asa's decision, he dropped down from the altitude of around 3100m where he was living back to the Leopard Camp area at around 2500m.  I was with him when it happened, could sense his frustration at what was happening.  Out of balance human activity in a jungle/forest area has many effects including of course wildlife movement.  Asa's prey base (existing and potential) are part of this equation.  There's more to it of course, a lot more but for now it's a continuation of moving ahead with purpose and resolve

As always a big thanks to those who are supporting in a practical sense, you know who you are because we email.  I meet about a zillion people a year, there's always contact addresses etc swapped blah blah blah best intentions and all that but the reality is there is a solid core who communicate and care, that means a lot to me... and I do try to wash as often as I can.  Cheers Jack.

Now blogging at wildleopard.net - thanks for your support!

Many thanks to those who have been following this blog as well as prior to that The Asa Diaries and TigerTrek.  I'm now blogging a...